Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ten Trials That I Might Not Count as Joy, but for Which I am Thankful

James 1: 2 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds,"

I've waited all week for the last day of the ten things I'm grateful for challenge. I knew what I wanted to list, but I wanted to make certain that I was honestly grateful. I've put it off for as long as I can, so here goes.

The trial with my weight. This reminds me that I keep needing to choose to live according to the Holy Spirit and not my flesh.

The trial with staying organized and on top of things. This keeps me humble.

The trial of leaving friends and of them leaving me. Without the void, I wouldn't have had room in my heart for women I'm so privileged to call friends.

The trial of losing loved ones. I am looking more and more forward to Heaven, where there will be such an awesome reunion.

The trial of not having near as much control over pain in my kids' lives as I would like. What joy to see how God loves them so much more than I do. He's allowed growth opportunities in their lives that I never would have. Yea, God.

The trial of a family member that's removed us all from her life. I have unshattered faith that one day we'll have a great reconciliation. It's the hope of unseen things.

The trial of seeing my brother so unjustly hurt. Where sin abounds, grace abounds that much more.

The trial of being abandoned. Nothing else has hurt so much or brought me so close to the throne of God and His ever-lasting mercy and grace.

The trial of my will. It is always in the way. It reminds me how much patience God has with me.

The trial of thinking I have to live up to certain standards. It keeps me chasing grace.

What about you? Leave a comment with a trial you're learning to count as joy.

No comments: