Saturday, November 17, 2007

Bring a Great Dish to your Gathering

Once upon a time, I was a single mom with a very limited budget. I attended a small church that had potluck gatherings, which I loved. It was so great to eat from a variety of terrific dishes that I didn't have to prepare. Plus, my two young boys got fed. Not that I didn't feed them, but one mom and two small children can't eat a whole casserole. Anyway, I found a dish that I could make that was easy, inexpensive, yet really enjoyed. That dish is Deviled Eggs. Ironic, huh? The recipe is stolen right out of the New Cook Book, 75th Anniversary Limited Edition So many people just add mayonnaise, but be brave, try the recipe. It's really good.

Something else that has simplified my life is having one or two recipes that I'm "known" for, like my mother who is known for her pecan pie, and my brother who is known for his fudge. It came about quite accidentally that a friend of mine was involved in several of the same events as I was. When it came time for me to bring a dish, she would always request my Oriental Cabbage Salad. After a while it dawned on me that I could take this dish everywhere. It was always popular and easy for me. I don't have to think long and hard about what I'll bring, and I remember the ingredients so it's pretty easy for me at the grocery store, too.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Yummy...Makes me want to throw a Potluck! I'll be toting my Vanilla Pears around with me this Thanksgiving week.
Gina