Thursday, November 15, 2007

Spirit Guided Weight Loss?

Two days ago I weighed myself. It was bad. Very bad. But not as bad as I was expecting. For the past two or three years I've seem to hit a plateau. On the way up that is. The scary thing could be that we're heading into the eating season.

So, part of this spirit walk with God includes the trial with my weight . I'm trying to put concrete examples to how this is working for me.

Today has been a good day. I prayed upon rising. I read Daniel 1, after hearing it suggested on the radio program that woke me. Part of the prayer was putting on the armor of God. I reminded myself that the flesh is an enemy. I asked God to show me what and when to eat. Then I tried not to make any eating plans.

I read about Daniel purposing in his heart to not eat the choice food and wine of the king. He challenged the guard to let him and his buddies eat only vegetables and water for ten days. At the end of the ten days, they looked healthier than all the other young men. So they were allowed to eat this way for three years. The young men grew greatly in knowledge and understanding during that time.

Of the many lessons that could be gleaned from this story, I was struck by the fly-in-your face opposition to what is considered sound nutritional science. I don't know why that surprises me. God is the creator of our bodies, our digestive system, and the food items we put into it. It's not a new concept, but I felt I'd gotten more encouragement to walk by the Spirit and not by flesh.

Then the daily Bible verse I receive in my email was, "The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. " Galatians 6:8 (New International Version)

1 comment:

Gina said...

I have been so blessed this week since you shared Melanie Wilson's post about surrendering. During my first few days of practiced surrender, I must have surrendered, oh, sixty times every sixty minutes :-), but God has been so faithful. I can feel Him at work in my attitude toward food and in the physical areas of hunger and cravings.

I do have some fear, though. I have a way of getting in the way and I know that this lesson is too important not to learn. It is so much bigger than the food--it is about learning to live every part of my life in a state of surrender and submission.

The concepts of the words 'surrender' and 'submission' can sound so weak and imprisoning to someone who doesn't truly understand them. I am learning that both words are synonymous with STRENGTH and FREEDOM.

Love,
Gina