Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Allure of the Lesser, Choosing the Better, Part 1

On Saturday, my son Chase stayed home with his dad, while I went to a women's conference and ran the bookstore, and Rachel went to Bible Quizzing. Dan (dh) offered to shoot baskets, shoot BB guns, shoot bow and arrows, clean a rifle to get ready for hunting, and on and on. Chase, however, preferred to watch a tape of cartoons from that morning. We all hear how kids don't want more things, they want more of us! And I think it's true. But the allure of the cartoons won out over the better time spent with his dad.

And then I had part of a beautiful Sunday afternoon to myself. I could have gone with Dan & the kids, but there were too many things to be done, I protested. The day was warm and sunny and beautiful. I was behind in the bible study that I'm so enjoying. I had a friend waiting for me to email her some more specifics of a conversation we were having that she was benefiting from. I had a friend in need that had left a message for me to please call. I felt a sense of urgency to get some clutter cleared out and given away before holiday visitors. But I stayed on my computer and played a meaningless game.

God was calling me to so much better. I would have enjoyed it more. But the allure of the easy kept me preoccupied with the lesser.

No comments: