Thursday, August 21, 2008

Third Time's A Charm


On our quaint little porch (on vacation), I was attempting to catch up on my Bible study, "Experiencing God". This particular lesson was a reminder to pay attention to what happens immediately after we pray. Sometimes we pray for God's direction, then unusual things happen. We see them as distractions, when God may have intended them as answers.

As admonished, I prayed, "Help me understand what you are doing in my life."

I hadn't even formed all the words when dh Dan and son Chase joined me on the porch. Okay, I see the humor, didn't look at them as a distraction, but didn't want to read too much into it either. After all, I hadn't even gotten my entire thought out of my mouth!

I did some more of the study. Committed to reading God's Word and letting that be a confirmation of what He's trying to tell me.

Then again I asked, "What are you trying to show me?"

Immediately, some combination of family came out on the porch.

I put aside my study and joined them. Later I read my scripture and again the next day (yesterday). I was totally reminded of the things God has been telling me.

Take care of the small things. Obey immediately. Put aside my own selfish desires, and live to please Him.

I've been asking Him to help me be more disciplined, and He obviously is.

One more time, I sat down yesterday to finish that particular lesson. On the prayer portion I wrote "God, what are you doing in my life? Preparing me for something big in which I must learn to take care of the small details and Big -meaning my family-(at which point Rachel joined my solitude) giving myself to God alone, not pleasing myself but spending time pleasing God."

Three times God interrupted my prayer to show me my family. This isn't the "small things" after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jannette! Thank you for sharing long distance, what an awesome, personal God we serve. Thank you for reminding me to look at my family "interruptions" as sometimes having a divine nature. I hope you are enjoying every moment of your vacation. We went to Seaworld a few years ago with the Marburgers, and it is one of my very favorite memories. Enjoy!