Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Choose Life But Have Dominion: A Theology Lesson from a "Cat Lady"

Gift from God, 19 year old, Emily the cat had advanced kidney failure. She took a turn for the worse three days ago. At least 30 hours of being too weak to move beyond her head every now and then and her tail, and just as long refusing water, she began to look like she was suffering. She started to cry if we left her side. We've had her for over 18 years. In another post, I'll write what she has meant to me and my family. It's a lot. I was just so torn about what to do. We had prayed over her and for her. I knew we could take her to the vet for a quick and painless ending, but I kept thinking about how God has commanded us to choose life.

An argument could have been made when my grandmother "Mamarie" was in a lot of pain over Christmas to end her life. That argument could not be won in my family. Thank you, Lord.

Torn, I called my cousin Kim. Kim is the "cat lady". She has so many cats that I think it's probably illegal. She's had a ton of pets, and right now she is breeding Siamese kittens. She loves her animals so much. I knew that she would understand my struggle. I don't know what I was expecting exactly, but she surprised me.

She empathized with me totally of course, but ironically told me how "Mamarie" had warned her not to humanize her pets. That through the years she has realized that choose life is a mandate for us Humans. And as humans we have been given dominion over the animals of the earth. We have the responsibility to treat them well. We are not playing God in making a decision to ease their suffering, because they are NOT human. No matter how much we love them. Our emotions get in the way. But we've been charged with a responsibility.

Wow. I love my cousin. It's amazing to find how alike we think about so many things. It meant so much for me to hear these words from her, someone who has loved her animals so much!

So I gathered three of the kids around (though Jeff is 20 and just happened to be visiting), and I shared with them my knew found understanding. I hadn't thought they could handle it, but there they were, totally understanding. Ready to put Emily out of her misery.

We all huddled in the vet's office together.

Yuck. Sometimes making the tough decisions in life really stinks. But I still choose it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jannette. That decision must have been one of the hardest you've had to make. I hope you and the kids are feeling peaceful and starting to heal. Love you.