Monday, February 4, 2008

Still doing the dishes

A while back I posted on the Holy Spirit's constant answer to the question of what to do now as the dishes.

Since that time, my precious, spoils me, mother-in-law came for a visit. As long as I cooked, she did the dishes. Not only that, but cleaned the counters, table, sink. Two whole weeks I had the star treatment. And when she left I declared, "It will stay this way." Clean and picked up I mean.

But, it didn't.

I thought how wonderful of the Lord to send this angel to my house right after I grumbled about there always being dishes to do.

I thought this break was what I needed to get myself in a good habit.

Ha!

So, the Lord is trying a new tactic.

For a while the handle on the dishwasher has not worked correctly. In fact, dear mother-in-law had to learn the secret of getting the door opened. My daughter had written an explanatory paper on how to get the door open.

Two days ago the handle finally broke. I managed to wrench the door open to get the clean dishes out, but dear hubby said we couldn't use it anymore until it got fixed.

The part is on back order and won't be in until the end of the month. So at least three more weeks of doing dishes by hand.

I can't help but remember when I started washing the Sunday afternoon dishes when I was eight or nine. It was either that or take a nap like my parents and little brother. So I washed and dreamed I was Cinderella (pre-Fairy Godmother).

My nine year-old son helped me dry the first load. And he washed part of a load tonight. He's enjoying it. My daughter has also cheerfully volunteered to help. And of course, dear hubby has pitched in, too. I didn't realize I was depriving them all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Keith and I didn't have a dishwasher until we moved into this house and we have always said that dishes are easier that way. I think it's because everyone has to pitch in because the job is too big for one person. Maybe the lesson God is teaching is that it's going to be a family effort to keep things together--first he sent your MIL to help and now he's sent your kids and husband. Just a thought, but I think it's a good one!