Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Rewards and Consequences

I'm fairly obtuse. My poor sweet husband doesn't understand that I don't get "hints". When he said that he'd like to have his coat washed by Wednesday, I didn't put it together that he meant he'd like for me to wash it by Wednesday. He tries to be so sweet, but I don't do subtle.

In fact, in a lot of my prayers I ask God to hit me over the head with His answer, because I just don't get it.

This Fall a friend shared in Bible study how her daughter was ready for a big girl bike. Same daughter had a problem with being respectful. Mom had tried many negative consequences, but struck upon the idea of rewarding her daughter with a dollar in a jar towards the bike every time she voluntarily said things like, "Thank you, Mommy." It worked wonderfully.

I mentioned and have thought since wouldn't it be great if God gave us these negative consequences and positive attaboys for our choices?

A wise woman said, "He does in my life all the time."

I bet He does in mine, too. Again, I'm obtuse.

So I've been praying and asking God to show me the rewards and consequences of my choices.

I've been choosing to keep the dishes hand-washed and picked up better than when we still had use of the dishwasher. I'm seeing the positive cleaning spilling over to keeping other things picked up, too.

I'd love to hear some of your rewards and consequences!

No comments: