Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Heart of The Matter

Giant cookies, home made breads, boxes of chocolates were all left over from Bible study on Wednesday. Last semester there wasn't enough food to go around! A lot of women must be dieting. I even heard someone say, "I wish there were vegetables."

It will be interesting to see how soon the snack table starts to clear off. Will it be by the end of February or hold out until April?

How many diets have I been on? Have you been on? Lifestyle changes. Better eating choices. It's now or never.

The willpower only lasts so long. Then gradually, or in one big bag of oreo crunching, the new me/you is out and the old me/you is baaaack!

Lasting change will never happen for me without the help of God. All the positive thinking. All the willpower. All the powders, pills, plans. It won't work.

The change I'm focusing on (dare I admit it?) is my tongue. The words that exit my mouth originated in my heart. So I'm trying to listen to the words before they have the chance to escape. Then I'm looking at my heart condition to see what those words really meant.

And this is really all related to food and lasting change. Yesterday I really struggled through wanting to indulge in some unhealthy food. What I really wanted was to indulge in some unhealthy speaking. That old criticism thing again. So if I had the tasty morsels of food, I could forgo the tasty morsels of slander.

Ah. Heart check time. I spent some time in prayer. Confessing, admitting my powerlessness, asking for strength. He delivered.

Help me, Lord. You alone know how wicked is my heart.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jannette, it's sure good to know that you're writing on your blog again.....you have so much wisdom and honesty to share. Keep it up!

Love, Mom