Monday, February 11, 2008

Doing Without

Doing without seems like I phrase I heard a lot, spoken with respect, while I was growing. I never hear it anymore.

What I do hear is this catchy commercial, "I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now." And he buys a big screen T.V.

It's important to me to point out those type of commercials to the kids and to myself. It is such an easy mindset to slip into.

Instead, I will be glad for some of the things we have chosen to do without.
  1. Daily & weekend newspaper (we get a free paper Wed., Fri., and Sun.)
  2. Cable or Satellite
  3. Magazine subscriptions (though my kids have some given as gifts from grandparents)
  4. Video rentals (we use the library)
  5. Eating out (I can't say totally, but I try very hard to cook.)
  6. Cell phone (my husband needs one for work, but he's the only one with the cell.)

I must admit, the cell phone is the hardest one. I wonder if there are some things that I wouldn't even think of because we've gone without them for so long.

On the other hand, we may do with some things that you would always chose to do without.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I think I fall into the 'I want it now' trap. What DO I do without? Hmmmm...I'll think about it and get back to you.