Thursday, December 6, 2007

Starting the Day Right

Ever since I said I was going to try to not complain, I've been sick with a head cold. Not a complaint, just a fact. It's been one of those weeks, where I'm not sure I'm thinking straight.

That said, I wanted to say more about the Spirit-guided life.

This Fall, I participated in a women's Bible study, where our small group of ladies studied Seeking Him: Experiencing the Joy of Personal Revival . It was a terrific book that really spoke to me. In the last chapter, Nancy Leigh DeMoss says, "Your relationship with Christ will never be any greater than your relationship with His Word."

I have been getting daily devotionals in my inbox from The Purpose Driven Life and a daily Bible verse from Christ Notes, but for too long I've allowed that along with my Bible study to be my time in God's word.

So for the past three weeks, I've spent most days reading my Bible. Most days I read one or more chapters before I do anything else. Sometimes I look words up in The Hebrew-Greek Key Study Bible/New International Version. Then I get on my knees and pray over my day. Often that prayer has to do with what I've just read. Always, I pray to release my control over my life and ask God to work in me, through me.

Lately. I've been reading both Philippians and Romans 12 over and over again. I'm trying to meditate on it and really apply it to my life.

I've seen a difference in how much more powered by the Holy Spirit I feel after I've spent time in God's word that way. It seems to be a real key for me. As long as I do it everyday, it's easy. I want to open the Bible first thing. But if I miss a day, the next day is hard for me to open His word. Keeping the pull of the flesh at bay begins with seeking God first. We all know it, I'm just saying it's been working for me.

No comments: