Thursday, September 11, 2008

At Least He Didn't Ask Me to go To Ninevah


"I'm okay with being single, but there is a part of me that wants to contribute to someone else's life," or something to that effect I told my mother while I was a single mom.

And on Sunday I will be celebrating seventeen years of being married to the man to whom I eventually decided to offer my contributions.

I really did long to be the cheerleader, companion, helper.

However, too often I begin to think that life is all about me, and he entered this marriage to serve me. He has a servant's heart. He does so much for me with such a loving, cheerful attitude.

In this God-walk, me trying to obey Him and be more the person he's called me to be, I purposed in my heart that the next time my dear husband asked me to do something for him, I would respond joyfully.

I've been doing so-so until the other day. I was overwhelmed, and thinking of all the "important" things that I had to accomplish, when I received the request. I remembered my pledge, waited for the joy....

It didn't come.

So I said yes, but in an if I must voice.

Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.

Conviction came quickly. I had been reading about Jonah, his disobedience and second chance. Fortunately, I didn't have to spend three days in the belly of a big fish before I got the opportunity to do something for my wonderful husband. This time I was joyful.

But, obedience is responding with the right attitude. Even when it's not in me.

1 comment:

If I Must said...

I can feel the joy welling up inside of me already. :) Thanks for the attitude adjustment. God's timing is perfect. You are precious in His sight and in mine.