Thursday, January 31, 2008

Motivation for Lasting Change

At the end of January, most people's New Year resolutions have flown south. I can say that I didn't really have anything, just everything. Everything that I'm trying to be and change and do. All the time, not just New Year's.

Motivation is always a big problem, and today Chip Ingram really spoke about that. He talked about three motivations...

  • Guilt
  • Self-interest
  • Being deeply loved

Let me pick something as an example. This morning I woke to a fairly clean house because we had youth group here last night. It was such a joy and encouragement. Every time this happens, I think, this time I will keep it this way. But it never lasts for long.

I can be motivated by guilt for awhile. I feel guilty that we lose things. I feel guilty that I don't offer my husband the kind of house cleaning he grew up with. I feel guilty that I'm privileged to stay home and school the kids, but don't keep it cleaner.

I can be motivated for awhile by self-interest. It does make me feel better about myself to keep it clean. I can really enjoy it, invite people over on a whim, and relax.

But these motivations only last for awhile...

What if I was motivated because God loves me so much. He has given me so much! And my spiritual act of worship is to offer my body as a living sacrifice. It is my chance to honor God. To obey him. To show him how much I love him.

I don't think that it makes it easy. But if I can really get a grasp, really chose to be motivated that way, it should be a lasting and permanent change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jannette,

I enjoyed reading your blogs...hope you have a great weekend and enjoy the SNOW!